Whether you’ve just recently started your journey in the world of marijuana or you have been using it for a long time, at one point or another, there’s a pretty good chance that you’re going to want to find out about the concept of decarboxylation machines.
No, we aren’t referring to the machines that are held within plastic containers that are located at the entryways of supermarkets that reestablishes heart rates (though those machines are important, for sure); what we’re talking about are the very best decarboxylation machines that are currently available on Amazon.
Decarboxylation machines are a new type of technology that allows you to tap into all of the magnificent benefits that cannabis can provide, right from the comfort of your own home, workshop, garage, or anywhere else. These machines are particularly handy when you’re making edibles.
If your interests are piqued and you would like to learn more, keep on reading to find out what decarboxylation is, why it’s valuable, and to discover some of the best machines that are currently available on the world’s biggest online retailer: Amazon.
What is a Decarboxylation Machine?
For those of you who have never heard of decarboxylation or who have but aren’t quite sure exactly how it works, allow us to take a moment to explain. If you are familiar with it, please bear with us, as we’re sure you can appreciate the importance of gaining an understanding.
Imagine that you’re back in high school sitting in your chemistry class. Why? Well, because decarboxylation has to do with chemistry, of course. It’s a chemical reaction that occurs when carbon dioxide is released from a carboxyl group. “Carboxylation” is the opposite of “decarboxylation”, and the former is also the first step in the process of photosynthesis.
Without decarboxylation, cannabis does not create the mild, mellow, energizing, relaxing, or pain relieving (depending on the strain) effects that it is known for. That’s because the tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THC) that cannabis contains is not psychoactive when it is in its raw form, which is why you can eat a handful of marijuana leaves plucked right from the plant and you wouldn’t feel a thing; honestly, it would be no different than eating basil, thyme, or rosemary leaves (well, it would taste different, but the feeling you would experience would not).
There is a simple way to promote decarboxylation and activate the THC in cannabis, and thus feel the psychoactive effects that the plant is famed for. How? By smoking it, of course! That’s because when weed is smoked or vaped, the heat that it is exposed to starts the decarboxylation process. However, not everyone likes to smoke or vape weed, or if they do, they would rather activate the THC beforehand to make sure that their ganja is the ideal temperature.
Of course, decarboxylation machines are ideal for those who prefer consuming their cannabis via edibles, so if you’re planning on cooking or baking with raw weed, one of these machines would most definitely be a worthwhile investment, as it would not only help to activate the psychoactive effects, but it would also help to improve its taste.
There are several makeshift methods that could be used to encourage the decarboxylation process, such as putting raw weed into the oven for an hour or so prior to baking or cooking with it, or by putting it in a slow cooker, or putting it in a mason jar and submerging it in boiling water; however, while there’s a chance that these methods could yield positive results, there are no guarantees.
Why? Because these DIY approaches are inaccurate, and if done haphazardly, they could result in the overcooking of the weed, rendering it completely unusable. If you don’t want to run the risk of having to trash your weed, and you want to be sure that you’re properly activating the THC, a decarboxylation process is definitely recommended.
That and if you grow your own supply and are regularly making edibles then investing in an appliance that is both reliable and also a lot cleaner/more efficient to use regularly may be worth seriously considering.
How Do Decarboxylation Machines Work?
These devices feature advanced technology and are relatively new to the market. As such, trying to explain how they work can be a bit tricky; however, in general, decarboxylation machines put weed through a series of heating cycles, which are activated by an intuitive algorithm.
The process, of course, occurs inside the machine; in other words, all you need to do is put your ganja in it, push the button, and the machine will do all of the work for you. There are some decarboxylation machines that aren’t as high-tech, and instead, they work by holding cannabis buds in an airtight container where they are exposed to consistent temperatures and are closely monitored.
Decarboxylation Machines vs Herbal Infusers
Decarboxylation machines are commonly referred to as herbal infusers, or weed infusers; however, there is a difference between the two devices. The former is designed to heat the weed to the perfect temperature, while the latter extracts the powerful oils from the buds, which can then be used in capsules, tinctures, or as an ingredient in recipes.
*Keep in mind that THC is fat-soluble, which means that in order to do its magic, it needs to be mixed with a fatty ingredient, such as traditional dairy butter. Decarboxylation machines and herbal infusers are also referred to as cannabutter machines, even though some infuse other non-dairy oils like coconut or grapeseed oil, like the Levo II infuser.
Yes, both plants and animals produce fats. Butter is the most obvious medium for animal-based fats to infuse your THC into but plant oils like coconut oil or even peanut butter work just as well because as far as cannabis is concerned, fat is fat.
The Top Decarboxylation Machines on Amazon
Okay, so now that you have a basic understanding of the decarboxylation process and what these devices are, let’s dive in and take a look at the best options that are available on Amazon.
Why Amazon, you ask? Well, quite simply, because it’s the world’s biggest online retailer, and pretty much everyone has access to it, and so most of you who are reading this, we’re confident will be able to purchase one of the devices mentioned here from the site.
Ardent FX Decarboxylator 3-in-1 Portable Decarboxylating Machine
The Ardent FX Decarboxylator is a 3-in-1 portable machine that is designed to decarb, infuse, backe, and melt cannabis for use in butters, oils, and other ingredients. With this device, you don’t need to have access to a kitchen in order to decarb and prepare yummy edibles, as it does it all!
This machine is so simply to use. There’s no need for an oven, a crockpot, or a double boiler, as it functions as all of those things. It can decarb, extract, infuse, melt, and bake!
Talk about a handy device! It’s super-easy to use, too. It’s a one-touch system, which means that you just place your buds in it, select the setting you would like, push the button, and it will start doing the work for you. There’s no need to prep or monitor, which is a total plus.
The Ardent FX decarboxylation machine features a large compartment that can accommodate up to 4 ounces of cannabis, and it’s around 4 times bigger than other options. Thanks to the silicone lid and the super-tight fit, it traps in odors, making it smell-proof. The one-touch system allows for easy use and perfect THC activation each and every time you use it. And because it’s portable, you can use it pretty much anywhere!
- 3-in-1 machine
- Easy to use push-button activation
- Durable construction
- Backed by a full warranty
- No monitoring needed
- Large compartment
- Some users said that it was a bit pricy
STX Activation 420 Decarboxylator Herbal Activator
STX Activation 420 Decarboxylator Herbal Activator • Fully Automatic or DIY • Virtually Odorless • Activates Up to 2 Oz of Product • 2 Aluminum Decarb Canisters with Silicone Lids for Storage!
- Fully Automatic with a Manual Override, Eco-Friendly and Economically Conceived, the Activation 420 is The Next Generation of Herbal/Botanical Decarboxylators. Designed with an 120 Watt Heater and Thermostatically Controlled, the Activation 420 will give…
- An LED Digital Control Panel and State-of-the-Art Microprocessor both allow for easy operational precision with each use. Dual Wall and Food Grade Aluminum Alloy ensures maximum strength, insulation, and performance. Whether you use the designated…
- The STX International Activation 420 comes with a Main Decarboxylator Power Unit that is Manufactured from BPA Free High Impact Polystyrene and Food Grade Aluminum Alloy. Also Included is a Silicon Cooking Lid for a Canister while Decarbing, a Lockable…
- The STX International Activation 420 is NOT Affiliated with other Manufacturer’s Decarboxylating Machines or their Parent Companies. ALL Paradigm Alley USA Products come with a 30-Day Unconditional Money Back Guarantee which also includes a 3-Year…
Next on our list of the best decarboxylation machines is this option from STX. Their Activation 420 Decarboxylator Herbal Activator is made with the most advanced technologies, giving it fully automatic operation, complete with a manual override. It features a 120 watt heater and it’s thermostatically controlled, which means that it will heat your weed to the ideal temperature each and every time.
The container holds up to 2 ounces of bud, so it’s a bit smaller than the above-mentioned model; however, that is still a pretty decent amount of space. It comes with two decarb canisters, and one is divided, so you can decarb two different strains at the same time.
An LED digital control panel and advanced microprocessor makes it super-easy to operate and allows for precision performance. Featuring a dual-wall design and made of food grade aluminum alloy, it’s super durable and safe to use. You can use one of the pre-programmed settings or input your own setting; either way, this machine is a cinch to use. The heavy, lockable lid helps to seal in odors, too.
- Fully automatic operation with manual override
- Pre-set temperatures or DIY settings
- LED digital control panel
- State-of-the-art microprocessor
- Made of food grade aluminum allow
- Superior insulation and lockable lid for odor-free operation
- Comes with two canisters, one of which is divided.
- The canister is 2 ounces, so it’s smaller than the previous model
ECRU Decarb Kit – Glass Box Decarboxylator
Decarb Kit – Glass Box Decarboxylator to Make Edibles, Butter & Tincture
- ✅ EASY TO CLEAN | Dishwasher safe. Also easy to rinse off grease and other residue.
- ✅ ODORLESS | Food grade silicone controls smell at 95%.
- ✅ LARGE CAPACITY | Up to 2 ounces of herb decarboxylation capacity.
- ✅ SMART & SIMPLE | 4 preset modes for C and T potency to bring out max of herb potency. Alarm to avoid over decarbed.
- ✅ PRECISE HEATING | Apply heat cycle to your rosin to achieve best curing results.
If you’re looking for high-quality, easy to use decarboxylation machine that won’t break the bank, this option from ECRU is a great choice Their Decarb Glass Box Decarboxylator proves that simplicity can still do the trick. It features a 2 ounce capacity glass container to hold your bud in, and a lid that attaches to the top activates the THC. It features 4 pre-set modes for both C and T potency, allowing you to bring out maximum potency.
The touchscreen control panel allows for easy operation, and it applies precise heating so that you can apply the heat cycle to the rosin in order to obtain the very best curing results. There’s an alarm, too, so which allows to avoid over-decarbing and destroying your weed.
If you like the design of the ECRU then you might also want to check out the ever-popular Magical Butter Machine as well as it works along similar lines.
- Simple, easy to use design
- Touch pad control with four preset modes for C and T potency
- Precise heating cycle applies the ideal heat to your rosin
- 2 ounce glass tray
- Odorless food grade silicone lid controls odor
- Affordably priced
- If you’re looking for something a bit more advanced, this may not be what you’re looking for
Herboven Decarboxylator，Decarb Machine with Infuser Feature ,Precise Heating Cycle, 3 Temperature Options 180℉/ 250℉/ 300℉, Precise Time Controls.Small batch of herb can also be decarbed
- 【Herboven Decarboxylator】 Is your special tool dedicated to the decarboxylation of herb/botanicals. Easy to use, just place the herbs/ botanicals inside of the container and then start the machine up. It is better you could grind your dry flower…
- 【The Inner Container】Has an inside diameter of 2.6” and depth 4”,holds up to 2-3 grams to 1 ounce of herbs/ botanicals depending on the density or 3-5 ounces of concentrated botanicals.
- 【Three-dimensional Heating Technology】Is used in Herboven Decarboxylator. As compared with the only bottom heating, the three-dimensional heating can make the inner container reach the required temperature more quickly and keep it constant, achieving…
- 【Professional Settings 】 We make 250℉-65 minutes / 300℉-35 minutes as the default setting due to there are 5 minutes of preheating and 20 minutes of cooling down in each heating cycle. The default heating time also could be adjusted by pressing…
- 【Tips About Infusion】 The Butter should be infused at 180℉-95 minutes option, and the oil materials which almost do not contain moisture content （such as butter oil, coconut oil and cooking oils）could be infused at both 250℉and 180℉options….
Next up is the Herboven Decarboxylator. It features a cutting-edge technologies, complete with three temperature options (180, 250, 300 degrees F0, precise heating cycles, and even precise time controls. The inner container has an inside diameter of 2.6 inches and a depth of 4 inches, so it can hold up to 1 ounce of herb! That’s pretty incredible!
This machine applies bottom heating, so it perfectly decarbs your weed, as it helps to prevent over-decarbing and damaging your bud. You can select one of the pre-set temperatures or input your own DIY temperature. Whichever option you choose, you can rest assured that this is one of the easiest, highest quality decarboxylation machines on the market.
- Features three-dimensional heating technology
- Can hold up to 1 ounce of herb
- 3 temperature options
- Precise time controls
- Push-button controls
- Durable construction
- Easy to use
- One user said that it was damaged when they received it
LEVO II Herbal Oil and Butter Infusion Machine
LĒVO II – Herbal Oil and Butter Infusion Machine – Botanical Decarboxylator, Herb Dryer and Oil Infuser – Mess-Free and Easy to Use – WiFi-Enabled via Programmable App (Jet Black)
- INFUSION, ELEVATED: LĒVO II is the premium kitchen appliance for easily preparing infused oil, butter, honey and glycerin using your herb of choice, without the time or mess of traditional methods.
- DRY, ACTIVATE, INFUSE, DISPENSE: Streamlining the infusion process, LĒVO unlocks the full potency of your botanical ingredients before you infuse with its new Dry and Activate cycles. When infusion is complete, the ceramic-coated, slanted reservoir…
- EASY TO USE. EASY TO CLEAN: Set it and forget it. From salves and soap to smoothie bowls and salad dressings, using LĒVO II is as easy as making coffee or tea. When you’re done, all components are easily removed and top-rack dishwasher safe!
- POTENT & LONG-LASTING: LĒVO II’s new Power Pod has double the capacity for more potent herbal infusions, and the durable silicone stirrer doesn’t aerate your final product, allowing for a longer shelf life. No solvents, additives, or emulsifiers…
- WIRELESS CONTROL: Pair your LĒVO II with the companion LĒVO app to program your infusions wirelessly, access a handy Herb & Oil Calculator, discover & share recipes, and save your favorite settings, all from the palm of your hand!
Last on our list of the best decarboxylation machines is the Levo II. This decarb machine is the priciest and the most revolutionary machines on our list. It’s a premium-quality appliance that is made with the most advanced technologies to ensure easy use and to yield the best possible results.
With this machine, you can dry, activate, infuse, and dispense, all from one device. It really does streamline the infusion process, allowing you to unleash the full potency of your herb. The ceramic-coated, slanted reservoir efficiently dispenses each and every drop. It’s easy to clean, too, as all of the components are dishwasher safe.
The pushbutton control panel and LED screen makes it oh-so easy to choose the exact settings you desire, reducing the risk of damaging your herb. It really is one of the most advanced decarboxylation machines on the market.
For a more thorough look at why the Levo is one of our favorite decarb devices read our full Levo review herea.
- Dry activates, infuses, and dispenses
- Cutting-edge technologies
- LCD touch-screen
- Dishwasher safe
- Wi-Fi compatible for wireless control
Herb CEO Final Thoughts
If you’re looking to make your own edibles or you just want to unleash the potency of your THC before you toke it, a decarboxylation machine would definitely be a worthwhile investment. No matter what your budget is and what goals you’re trying to achieve, with one of the machines featured on our list, you can rest assured that you’ll achieve outstanding results.
To be honest I’ve spent my whole life just winging it with my slow cooker and my ABV (already been vaped) leftover flower from my Pax 3 vaporizer. This produces edibles that are definitely powerful, but sometimes too powerful, because I’m not testing or measuring anything at all really.
On occasion this has resulted in some unpleasant experiences for some, and some trippy rides for others. I have concerns about inhaling smoke on the daily so finding a more healthy way to get high is something that is pushing more towards getting serious about edibles.
Sure, buying edibles from a dispensary would be super expensive but if I can procure some lower shelf cannabis, combine a couple full ounce shake specials, then I can make very cost effective edibles and honestly if that becomes my primary form of THC ingestion I may very well be springing for one of these devices very soon, there’s no denying the practicality.
Until then (and this article will be updated once I have mine) it’s the trusty old croc pot and THC roulette for me.
Last update on 2022-01-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API